Fleas and your dog
Having pet fleas can be a big irritation for both you and your dog. Here are some facts and handy tips how you can deal with pet fleas.
- ALL pets can get fleas
- Fleas are NOT a sign of poor hygiene, they are blood-sucking parasites like mosquitoes.
- 95% of the flea’s life cycle takes place OFF the pet & only 5% on it.
- The ONLY thing that will kill flea pupae is a flame thrower!
- Pupae must therefore be encouraged to hatch before the emerging adult fleas can be killed.
- Fleas will bite and start sucking blood within seconds of landing on a cat or dog.
Help is at hand – By breaking the Flea life cycle both on & most importantly off your pet, it is possible to control a sudden outbreak & to maintain long-term, effective flea control.
The Sudden Outbreak
- Wash your pet’s bedding.
- Spray floors, furnishings, car and especially the pet’s bedding with ACCLAIM to kill larvae & adult fleas in the environment.
- Allow pets back into the rooms – their presence will encourage pupae to hatch.
- Vacuum daily – the vibrations will encourage pupae to hatch.
- Treat all cats (see cat leaflet) and all dogs in the house.
- Treat all pets with CAPSTAR tablets— emerging adult fleas jumping on to the pets will be killed within three hours.
- Treat all dogs with PRAC-TIC spot-on to kill adult fleas which jump onto your dog. Apply monthly.
N.B. There will still be indestructible pupae in the environment which will have to be allowed to emerge before they can be killed. This means that ONE TREATMENT WILL NOT BE ENOUGH! Do not drop your guard—treatment needs to be continued all year round.
It is very important that you get the best advice for your pet and your lifestyle. For a personalised action plan of what products to use and when to use them, please make an appointment at one of our nurse clinics or with one of the veterinary surgeons
• Regular washing of pet bedding.
• Regular vacuuming to help stimulate pupae to emerge and to help remove eggs, larvae & young adults from the environment.
• Monthly treatment of dogs with Nexguard Spectra to prevent eggs hatching.
• Monthly spot-on with PRAC-TIC to kill adult fleas on your pet.
N.B. Even with regular use of these products YOU MAY STILL SEE ADULT FLEAS. These will have recently emerged from pupae but will be killed within 24 hours of contact with a treated pet.