Fleas and Your Cat
Cat Fleas – The Facts
- ALL pets can get fleas
- Fleas are NOT a sign of poor hygiene, they are blood-sucking parasites like mosquitoes
- 95% of the flea’s life cycle takes place OFF the pet & only 5% on it
- The ONLY thing that will kill a flea pupa is a flame thrower
- Flea pupae must therefore be encouraged to hatch before the emerging adult fleas can be killed
- Fleas will bite and start sucking blood within seconds of landing on a cat or dog
The Sudden Outbreak of Cat Fleas
There are number of practical measures you can take if you get a sudden outbreak of fleas.
- Wash your pet’s bedding.
- Spray floors, furnishings, car and especially the pet’s bedding with ACCLAIM to kill larvae & adult fleas in the environment.
- Allow pets back into the rooms – their presence will encourage pupae to hatch.
- Vacuum daily – the vibrations will encourage pupae to hatch.
- Treat all cats and all dogs (see dog leaflet) in the house.
- Treat all pets with CAPSTAR tablets— emerging adult fleas jumping on to the pets will be killed within three hours.
- Treat all cats with ADVANTAGE spot-on to kill adult fleas which jump onto your cat. Apply monthly. There will still be indestructible pupae in the environment which will have to be allowed to emerge before they can be killed. This means that ONE TREATMENT WILL NOT BE ENOUGH!
- Do not drop your guard—treatment needs to be continued all year round.
Help is at hand – By breaking the Flea life cycle both on and most importantly off your pet, it is possible to control a sudden outbreak and to maintain long-term, effective flea control.
It is very important that you get the best advice for your pet and your lifestyle. For a personalised action plan of what products to use and when to use them, please make an appointment at one of our nurse clinics or with one of the veterinary surgeons.
Routine Control of Cat Fleas
- Regular washing of pet bedding.
- Regular vacuuming to help stimulate pupae to emerge and to help remove eggs, larvae & young adults from the environment.
- Monthly treatment of cats & dogs ( or a 6 monthly injection for cats only) with PROGRAM to prevent eggs hatching.
- Monthly spot-on with ADVANTAGE to kill adult fleas on your cat. Beaware that even with regular use of these products YOU MAY STILL SEE ADULT FLEAS. These will have recently emerged from pupae but will be killed within 24 hours of contact with a treated pet, before they can lay eggs.